Thursday 21 October 2010

Actor of the Day

Mel Colm-Cille Gerard Gibson
American/Australian
January 3rd, 1956-


I feel bad for Mel Gibson.
Just a little.
It's unfortunate the man's so riddled with problems because as an actor, he's very entertaining to watch, and as a director he's pretty darn great.
Apocalypto is under-rated & not without its backlash (mainly due to historical accuracy - but what film doesn't bend the truth?) but has some of the best cinematography I've ever seen & is fascinating to watch. Gibson certainly likes his gore, which is why Passion of the Christ has been put on the back-burner until I'm ready for 10 minutes of Jesus-torture.


But re-visiting his 80s/90s hey-day, I've had much fun. Last summer I had an Arnold Schwarzenegger binge & it was fantastic. Now, it's Mel Gibson's turn & whilst he's no Schwarzenegger, he does what he does well.
I've still got much to go through, & naturally, not all his films are great, but I do think that - minus all his personal bullshit - he should be recognised more for his acting and directorial abilities, rather than the Jew-hating, woman-bashing, alcoholic man that he is.


Although, Tom Cruise has yet to recover...

No comments:

Post a Comment